Recognized for Outstanding Achievement in 2010
With a diagnosis of cancer, you or your loved one is faced with many difficult medical and emotional decisions. RMC’s CoC-accredited cancer program makes the decision of where to get treatment an easy one.
RMC is accredited by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons (COC) for its comprehensive, multidisciplinary and quality patient care. One of only 22 in the state, RMC’s accredited program means that patients will receive:
- comprehensive care, including a range of advanced services and equipment
- a multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
- access to cancer-related information, education and support
- a cancer registry that collect data on type and state of cancers and treatment results and offer lifelong patient follow up
- ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
- and all right here in Anniston
Only 25 percent of all hospitals in the country have cancer programs accredited by the COC, with 80 percent of all newly diagnosed cancer patients being treated at those facilities.
While no one can guarantee the outcome of any cancer treatment, patients can rest assured that they will receive the best in diagnosis and treatment of cancer, that full consultative services will be available from all medical disciplines involved in diagnosing and treating the disease, and that their condition will be carefully watched through a lifelong program of follow-up care.
The COC is comprised of Fellows of the American College of Surgeons and other members representing 39 national cancer-related organizations. To maintain accreditation, facilities with accredited cancer programs must undergo an on-site review every three years.